"Gee Whiz" Lactation Facts
1.Human milk has over 300 ingredients, including interferon, white
blood cells, antibacterial and antiviral agents, while formula has only 40
2.Human milk has been shown to kill cancer cells in a laboratory dish
and has been used in oncology.
3. The human breast "custom-makes" antibodies to fight whatever pathogen the infant is exposed to in the environment.
4. Breast milk has been used to treat eye infections, ear infections,
pimples, cold sores, and nail fungus and prevent infection in
scrapes and scratches.
5. In some parts of the world, donated organs are bathed in breast milk
for the protective factors.
6. There were over 40
"significant" recalls of formula for potentially
7. Human milk lactoferrin is patented for use in killing E. Coli in the
meat packing industry.
8. Donor milk is being used to treat malabsorption and short-gut
syndromes, renal failure, inborn errors of metabolism, ulcerative colitis,
irritable bowel syndrome, immunodeficiency diseases, burn cases, cardiac
problems, and infectious diseases such as intractable diarrhea,
gastroenteritis, infantile botulism, sepsis, pneumonia, and hemorrhagic
conjuctivitis in both children and adults.
If you would like this on your website, please place a link to it, you do not have permission to copy and paste it to your site!
@Cindy Curtis RNC IBCLC CCE CD 2012